Posted by: ramrajya | January 14, 2012

Chennai couples wants IIT student sperm donor.

Chennai couples wants IIT student sperm donor.

குழந்தை பெற்றுக்கொள்ள ஐ. ஐ.டி. படிக்கும் மாணவர்களின் விந்தணு தேவை.

A Chennai couple’s ad has created a stir in the student community. My wife and I are looking for a suitable sperm donor for fresh In Vitro procedure very soon! Ideal candidate should be IIT student, healthy, no bad habits, tall and fair if possible but will consider the right donor regardless of looks etc. Time is of the essence, so please call asap. Compensation twenty thousand Rupees cash. Call or email ASAP. Authentic ad, we need donor within two weeks most likely. Please help us start a family filled with love and prosperity. References will be required and checked.

The above is the text given in an advertisement of a website that has created a stir nationally in the student community. While doctors admit that the childless couple has unofficially expressed the desire to have high IQ guys as sperm donors, this is the first time that they’ve come across such an advertisement.

As for students’ reactions, they range from bizarre to being okay with this desire of the parents-to-be. When a boy is born to a family of overachievers, there is always the most important question of whether he is going to make it to IIT. Parents sometimes believe that if their child cannot get into IIT, then he can’t get into any other college!

Amrutash Misra, IIT-M 2008 batch thinks the idea is highly ridiculous. “Some of the smartest and most successful people I know are not IITians. Also, some of the dumbest people I know are from IIT.” There are other IIT-ians who echo the same sentiments. Aditya N, a third year electrical engineering student thinks the entire idea is extremely stupid. “The whole ‘IIT-dream’ scene is just a wrong perception,” he says.

Dr Kamala Selvaraj, one of the top infertility specialists in the country, thinks that the idea is completely absurd. “Intelligence comes with the genes. It does not depend on whether they studied in IIT or not. It is known that 60 per cent of one’s genetic make up depends on the parental genes and the rest of the 40 per cent depends upon the individual’s personal faculties.” She explains how such belief crop out of sheer ignorance. “The parents mentioned here are not aware of what genetics is or how this entire process works even! My surprise is that how can the man and the woman here, agree to the same fact that a sperm donor from IIT would do good to them.” But she agrees with the fact that couples look out for sperm donors who are educated, no doubt, but being in a prestigious college is not a criterion. “We believe in matching the blood groups of the biological parents. Other than that, we cannot figure out the characteristics of another person,” she states.

George J, a 3rd year Ocean Engineering student contemplates over his decision if he was put in such a situation. “Financially, it would help any guy in IIT, but if I was put in such a situation, I’d donate only for the person I am. Not because I am an IIT-ian”, grins George.

Mathamatical geniuses Ramanujam and former Indian President Abulkhalam’s parents are from average family. Ramanujam father worked in Kumbakonam as a clerk in a cloth merchant’s shop. Kalam’s father was a devout Muslim, who owned boats which he rented out to local fishermen at Rameswaram. APJ Abdul Kalam mentions in his biography that to support his studies, he started his career as a newspaper vendor. Intelligence comes with the genes. It does not depend on whether parents studied in IIT or not.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: